If you require the services of a DUI attorney in San Luis Obisbo County, then there are a few things you should know before selecting a firm.
First, know what you’re up against. A DUI charge can remain on your record for seven years, ten years, or in some cases a lifetime. It’s highly likely that you could lose the privilege to drive. Your insurance premiums will certainly rise.
If you’re thinking about self representation, then prepare to hit the books. The particulars of DUI law are byzantine and complex. A skilled prosecutor can use procedural tactics to thwart your case. Even if it looks like your chances of winning appear certain, you should still consider hiring an experienced attorney to avoid losing your case over a technicality or sly legal trick.
There are also matters outside the court that bear on your future as a driver in the Stae of California. In most cases, it is recommended that you seek a DMV Hearing for a temporary license. Driving without a valid license may result in a huge bond and possibly jail time.
There are a number of lawyers who dabble in DUI. Few can claim it as a specialty. Ask yourself whether you would feel more comfortable being represented by a professional dabbler versus a seasoned expert. The latter may charge a higher fee, but the odds of a favorable outcome improve substantially if you secure representation from an experienced lawyer. As the saying goes, if you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur.
Next, inquire about the attorney’s qualifications. Here are some better known ones:
• California DUI Lawyers Association
• California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
• California Peace Officer’s Association
• National College for DUI Defense
If you’re thinking about hiring an attorney to help with DUI defense, then you should hire the number 1 DUI Defense Attorney in San Luis Obisbo County. Darryl W. Genis has been helping people save their licenses since 1980.
- Specialist Member California DUI Lawyers Association
- Member National College for DUI Defense
- Standardized Field Sobriety Test Instructor (NHTSA / IACP)
- Owner and operator of all the same breath machines used in San Luis Obisbo County (Draeger 7410, Alco-sensor Mark IV, and Intoxylizer 5000).
- Member of the State Bar of California
- Average rating: 5 stars (70 reviews), Avvo